My Elephant by Doodee [Revisit] - Food Point of Interest

SELANGOR no image

Published on October 16th, 2008 | by email2me

My Elephant by Doodee [Revisit]

My Elephant By Doodee Thai Food Revisit

Myself as a Penangite is constantly craving for something sour and spicy. Thai foods definitely fits the criteria. In KL/Selangor, we pretty hard to get a good Thai Food.
Lately a lot franchise like Thai Express have bloom out in Klang Valley. I personally haven’t try it as their restaurants always pretty empty. To Penang people, when that particular shop has a lot of customers, the food must be good. For me the best Thai Food I had in Klang Valley/Selangor still goes to My Elephant By Doodee which located at housing area in Section 17 in PJ. They do not located at any famous shopping complex/mall and hidden away from the busy city which making their restaurant having a feel you are dining at home.

Their internal decorations are pretty simple and very much into home arrangement. A lot of their furnitures are from IKEA though. To see more on their decorations, checkout my earlier post.

I have earlier done a brief review for this restaurant when I started trying their set lunch and also organizing a company party celebration there. The thing which I like about this place is that about 60% of their kitchen crews were Thai people. The way they cook is exactly how they cook at Thai home cook food.

Last week, Daniel drop me a call saying that he is craving for the Thai Food here after I brought him testing it for the first time a few weeks back. During that time, we arrive pretty late and most of the main dishes are sold out. This time, we made a reservation before we arrive. Upon us arriving, the restaurant is full house and all the extra walk in customers were disappointed. Luckily we have made a reservation earlier.

While waiting for a table, I place the order for the food and drinks. After 20 minutes of waiting, we finally got our own table and immediately we were served with our drinks.

Authentic Thai Coolers ... from left : Pandan Cooler - RM3, Jasmine Cooler - RM3 and Kraciap [Taste like ribena] Cooler RM3
Authentic Thai Coolers … from left : Pandan Cooler – RM3, Jasmine Cooler – RM3 and Kraciap [Taste like ribena] Cooler RM3

The Pandan Cooler is the best seller here where they use make a drink out of Pandan leaf extract.

For appetizer, we ordered Mieng Kum [Thai Leaf Wrap Appetizers]

Cooking and eating guide for Mieng Kum

[Part of Mieng Kum - RM10] From top : onions, pineapple, cucumber and chili padi
[Part of Mieng Kum – RM10] From top : onions, pineapple, cucumber and chili padi

Daun Kaduk [Part of Mieng Kum]
Daun Kaduk [Part of Mieng Kum]

Dried Grind Coconut [Part of Mieng Kum]
Dried Grind Coconut [Part of Mieng Kum]

Dried Peanuts and Shrimp [Part of Mieng Kum]
Dried Peanuts and Shrimp [Part of Mieng Kum]

Special sauce [Part of Mieng Kum]
Special sauce [Part of Mieng Kum]

Mieng Kum - RM10 [Appetizer]
Mieng Kum – RM10 [Appetizer]

The Mieng Kum is very addictive. We will never get enough of it. Once you start, you will want to test more and more with different ingredients quantity combination. We do order another appetizer which is the mango salad.

Yum Mamuang - RM12 [Green Mango With Assorted Vegetables & My Elephant's Spicy Dressing]
Yum Mamuang – RM12 [Green Mango With Assorted Vegetables & My Elephant’s Spicy Dressing]

Not Long after that, our main course all came at one shot. Item by item are served.

Choo Chee Goong - RM18 [Semi-dry Thai Yellow Curry With Prawns]
Choo Chee Goong – RM18 [Semi-dry Thai Yellow Curry With Prawns]

Choo Chee Goong - RM18 [Semi-dry Thai Yellow Curry With Prawns]
Goong Manaw Prik [Prawn Cocktail with Lime Chilli Dressing]

Gai Tod Gratiam Prik Thai - RM14 [My Elephant's Special Deep Fried Chicken Strips with Kaffir Lime Leaf, Garlic and crushed Thai Peppercorn]
Gai Tod Gratiam Prik Thai – RM14 [My Elephant’s Special Deep Fried Chicken Strips with Kaffir Lime Leaf, Garlic and crushed Thai Peppercorn]

Gaeng Keow Wan - RM15 Small [Thai Green Curry with Chicken]
Gaeng Keow Wan – RM15 Small [Thai Green Curry with Chicken]

Gai Yaeng Tar Krai - RM14 [BBQ Chicken Fillet with chopped lemon grass]
Gai Yaeng Tar Krai – RM14 [BBQ Chicken Fillet with chopped lemon grass]

Plah Nung Manow - RM39 [Steamed Siakap with my Elephant's signature Lime-Garlic-Chili Padi Dressing] (A MUST TRY!)

Plah Nung Manow – RM39 [Steamed Siakap with my Elephant’s signature Lime-Garlic-Chili Padi Dressing] (A MUST TRY!)

Tom Som with Fish - RM15 Small [Clear Galangal-Lemon grass-Lime soup with Aromatic Thai herbs] (A MUST ORDER!)
Tom Som with Fish – RM15 Small [Clear Galangal-Lemon grass-Lime soup with Aromatic Thai herbs] (A MUST ORDER!). This taste even better than normal Tom Yam. Alert! This is very spicy!

Plah Meuk Yoeng Squid - RM18 [Thai Fried Squid with sweet soya sauce]
Plah Meuk Yaeng Squid – RM18 [Thai Fried Squid with sweet soya sauce]

Fried Paku Pakis with Garlics - RM12
Fried Paku Pakis with Garlics – RM12

All the rice served here are Jasmine Mix With Unpolish Rice. Per person they charge RM2.50 with unlimited refill.

Overall it was a satisfying dinner which comes with a total bill of RM180+ for 3 persons.

Details on how to get here :

Place: My
Elephant
by Doodee

Location : Section 17 Behind Choon Yien Chicken Rice
GPS Coordinate: N3 07.348 E101 38.072
Address : Block C-G4, Happy Mansion, Jalan 17/13, Section 17, 46400, Petaling Jaya
Contact No : Please checkout the name card

Air Conditioned : YES
Halal : No
WIFI : No
Smoking and non smoking zone : No

24 Responses to My Elephant by Doodee [Revisit]

1. Criz Lai says:

Wow! This must be good at the rate you have to queue to get a place. The food choices you had are also impressive. Form your vote, this should be the ideal place for Thai food lovers. 🙂

Criz Lais last blog post..REVIEW – TYE SIN STREET ECONOMY BEE HOON

2. allie says:

Wah.. so yummy! But at KL… *sad*

allies last blog post..Loh Mai Kai in a Pau.

3. lingzie says:

wah this looks really good la!! section 17 you say?
    ok next time i go KL i must go to this place liao! 🙂

lingzies last blog post..Thai Food: Chok Dee Thai Restaurant @ Burmah Road

allie : Don’t worry … when you come KL drop me a call … I bring you there.

Lingzie : call me when you wanna go …. my office is 5 mins away only 😀

5. Christy says:

Oh my…you’re all tempting me with Thai Food…I haven’t been able to have Thai food for some time coz of my sensitive tummy….aiyooo, this is so wicked…I miss tom yam:p
    since you’re planning to bring lingzie and allie, maybe next time we should plan for a Penang bloggers envoy to join KL bloggers for a food meet….(hehe, I’m sort of in-between…Penang blogger and KL blogger:p

Christys last blog post..Colors of Sri Ayu

6. allenooi says:

5/5 for food! must be very yummy. i like thai food also. in pg, where can get the best one?

allenoois last blog post..Yaw’s Roast & Grill

Penang side so far I haven’t had any Thai restaurant that can match this so far.

I use to dine in Sawadee (Sri Bahari Road near the Ship). It is cooked by Thai people also but the taste somehow cannot beat My Elephant’s.

Looking at those delicious food especially around lunch time makes me more hungry liao …good idea of serving unpolish rice.

ck lam

ck lams last blog post..Penang Hawker Food – Nearby Traders Hotel, Penang

Christy, Lingzie, Allie, Steven ….. Put time put date …. you all come, I bring you all for a food trip you will never forget …..

I also like to eat those yummy food? Can I join in the food trip too? KL has so much to offer….

ck lams last blog post..Penang Hawker Food – Nearby Traders Hotel, Penang

11. buzzingbee says:

me me….I want to join food trip too 😛
    The name of the shop is so unique…hehe
    Nice food!!

12. looks like you had a good meal, very shiok rite! …… lol!

13. Steamed siakap looked really tempting, Tom Som with fish and fried paku pakis are those traditional Thais food, seemed very authentic too, must go and try one day…

CK and Bee , You are welcome to join in …..

BBO : when the food is a lot and we are able to clear it … the satisfactions are speechless ….. hahaha …….

malaysianfoodguide : that is the best I had that night …… all the foods are authentic! No fusion or made localize. If you really can take super spicy, ask them to make it more spicy. In the Tom Som soup, they will flatten the chili and all those seeds were used to cook the soup. It really make me sweat with that …. lol

email2mes last blog post..Recipe and Baking guide for Kuih Bingka Ubi & Steamed Red Bean Cake

Steven ….

My post will be slow a bit for the time being due to too heavy with real life work …..

My upcoming post all are Penang foods ….

16. Nate says:

Great post! Thanks for taking us along with you to the restaurant.

*sigh* we don’t get very good Thai food here in San Jose. Your pics and descriptions are making me drool.

Nates last blog post..Fried Sanddabs with Garlic and Oyster Sauce

Nate : Thai food must be cook by those house wives only it will taste good. Commercialize version are no where go be near in terms of top quality.

email2mes last blog post..Blogging Live on Halloween Day at theobroma Chocolate Lounge, 1Utama

18. Aunty Sue says:

Can someone be ever so kind and give me the telephone no. of that yummy Thai Restaurant .. I cant wait to try out the food !!!

Aunty Sue : Their reservation and contact no can be obtain here.

20. Aunty Sue says:

Thank you so much !! Will try to visit My Elephant By Doodee this weekend 😀

21. 5/5?? so good ..muz go one day. then can also chow dwn some Fd Foundry’s mille crepe.. havent tried be4. ur offcie is nearby? so can call ya for lunch then 😉

thenomadGourmands last blog post..Air Flown Kolok Mee from Sarawak, ETA 2am, 4th Feb 09 Flight AK5219