FOOD LOCATION - MELAKA - 15,419 views

Melaka Best Asam Pedas at Hajjah Mona Asam Pedas Taman Kota Laksamana

Early this month, my company had a weekend trip to Melaka after work. We just drive down for the sake of one reason. FOOD! In the day time, I had a tailor made itinerary (CLICK HERE). As for night time, I am cracking my head what is nice beside visiting Jonker Street for street foods.

Thanks to my good friend Jason from jasonmumbles.com who introduce to me all the great foods around Melaka City. The night were kick off with a plate of Malay Asam Pedas which located within the vicinity of the UNESCO Heritage circle. To be precise it is 100 Meter away from Donald and Lily’s Restaurant. This restaurant operate from 5pm to 5am daily. The restaurant is actually a house convert to restaurant and is pretty easy to spot. From infront of Donald and Lily’s restaurant just go further in towards the new hotel which currently building in progress.

Open air setup

All the big wok cooking the asam pedas.

Asam pedas is more diluted compared to normal curry. It also carries a more sour and spicy taste which lead to it being called asam pedas which means tamarind spicy from direct translation. Asam pedas usually cook with fishes rather than meats.

All are served in single serving style

Stir fried bean sprout with red chili

Hard boiled salted eggs

Fried chicken and eggs

Kembong Fish

Mackerel Fish

Cencaru fish

Stingray

A standard plate of white rice served with the bean sprout and 1/2 salted eggs. You can chose not to take the standard rice for a change. Every table also come with pre packed nasi lemak which taste pretty good.

Nasi lemak with anchovies sambal and a portion of omelette

Besides rice, you should try the satay sold here. It taste really nice and goes along very well with the asam pedas.

Hajjah Mona Asam Pedas is located at :

No.6, Taman Kota Laksamana,
Melaka Town.

Tel : 012-601 3672 or 012-601 3676

GPS : N2 11.625 E102 14.730 (Marked as Assam Pedas in Malfreemaps.com)

Operating Hours : 5pm to 5am Daily

Non Air Conditioned

Price : Cheap

Food Rating : 4/5

• August 24, 2010 - 9:52 am | Permalink

goodness!!!! the asam pedas looks REALLY good. i think i can easily have few plates of the stingray

• August 24, 2010 - 11:10 am | Permalink

I usually go for the mackerel instead of kembung, or stingray.
    Maybe the fleshy and not so fishy cut suits my palate better, compared to the boney kembung or cencaru?

• August 24, 2010 - 11:18 am | Permalink

It look so delicious. I always went at Pasar Borong for Asam Pedas. Melaka is best place for Asam Pedas that i ever taste before.

• August 24, 2010 - 11:38 am | Permalink

walaweh….the asam pedas looks so nice, but I really adore the asam pedas in Melaka as its taste better than any other places in malaysia…really miss my mother’s asam pedas…

• August 24, 2010 - 11:46 am | Permalink

My favourite asam pedas stall!

• August 24, 2010 - 12:10 pm | Permalink

yes bro…u come to the right stall….like the food here…and taman kota laksamana got many nice dessert and nasi lemak there

• August 24, 2010 - 3:53 pm | Permalink

Salivating at the assam pedas fish already.. too bad sorethroat cannot eat spicy stuff yet :P

• August 24, 2010 - 5:03 pm | Permalink

wow, drooling~~ Can tambah nasi with the asam pedas gravy!

• August 26, 2010 - 1:04 pm | Permalink

Yes! I’m eying on the Stingray! One of my favorite!
    Thanks Ken. :)

• May 19, 2011 - 1:51 pm | Permalink

the best asam pedas ive ever tasted! like seriously

• May 29, 2011 - 1:51 pm | Permalink

last saturday my self & my family just want to try
    asam pedas at hjh mona at kota laksamana..recomended by my friends…we are one of the asam pedas lover specially my wife & my children but very upset to say that the asam pedas at Hjh Mona Stall is not tasty like what we heard like what Malay always said-INDAH KHABAR DARI RUPA (sorry but this is our opinion)… for PR side….staff for hjh mona 5/10…but satay staff 3/10…for future i’ll not recommended to others…I will try to find another Asam Pedas Stall… thanks

• July 9, 2011 - 5:39 pm | Permalink

damn..i really like stingray asam pedas so delicious…
    want come again if i go to melaka next time..

• August 23, 2011 - 12:02 pm | Permalink

i m from sarawak…1st time i sampai melaka..yer lah nk melawat bandaraya bersejarah..ms nk g otel teksi driver intro ler asam pedas power di melaka..sampai org vvip pun dtg makan kt situ…mlm tu tanpa buang masa naik beca g restoran tu…huhuhu..nothing special..mmg bkn selera saya langsung x sedap…sy penah makan asam pedas area jalan klang lama situ br i komen mmg best lh sangat2…restoran crew 8/10 ok ler tu….

• August 23, 2011 - 12:09 pm | Permalink

Wuih ….. Mai bagi alamat jap …. I pergi cuba pastu boh kat website nih.

• December 19, 2011 - 12:05 pm | Permalink

Ermmm… Contemplating to try hajah Mona or clay pot asam pedas.. Or maybe try both ? I m hungry already.