SELANGOR

Ting’s Cafe ….. Best Hainanese Food in SS2 PJ

Hainanese Food ….. When we talk about it, the first thing that going to cross our mind is Hainanese Chicken Rice. There are more nice Hainanese food in town. I use to be patronize Yut Kee at Dang Wangi whenever I have a crave for Hainanese Chicken chop or roti babi. This is convenient for people who stay in KL city.

For me who stay in PJ area, I would recommend you to checkout Ting’s Café located at the same row of Lobsterman in SS2.

The design and setting of the restaurant resemble modern kopitiam like the other famous Old Town and Pappa Rich. There are section for smoking and non smoking area with all the signature dishes displayed on the wall. This is good for people like me who don’t have any idea what do they serve on their first visit.

Without any hesitation the person in charge Ms. Harriet Ting, introduce all their signature dishes that are served daily in the restaurant. She brief us on the food that served here were divided to 2 types which the first one would be those that serve all day long and another one for dinner only. So she recommend us a mixture of both which consist from their best selling list.

We were greeted with an excellent bowl of Ox Tail soup for a start.

Ox Tail Soup – RM13.50

So much meat inside and every scoop is flavorful

Main Course

Nasi Lemak Mutton

The mutton curry that came with this plate of nasi lemak has the kick in it. If you close your eyes and take a bite, you sure will said that this is cooked by Indian chef. Not many Chinese chef able to cook up to this level for mutton curry.

Claypot Lou Shi Fun – RM6.50

Normally this method of cooking were cooked with Mee Suah in sharks fin style. Here they apply the similar style but with added minced pork and eaten with vinegar as usual. I like this dish on a rainy day where it gives you warmth from the claypot that keep your food warm all the time. On a normal day when I can’t afford to go for a real sharks fin, I go for Mee Sua Tow or this instead.

Curry Pork Rib Rice – RM10.50

At first after taking a first bite, we thought this was chicken until Harriet said no ….. it was pork ribs! We were so surprise with the tenderness and juicy meat cooked in Chinese curry chicken style. The curry is so delicious and we clear it in a jiffy.

Hainanese Mee Gravy – RM6.00

Hainanese Chicken Chop – RM11.90

This is so far the best Hainanese chicken chop I had in Klang valley so far. Chicken chop is basically deep fried but at Ting’s Cafe, they grill it and then laden the home made special sauce on top. We had double for this dish cause it taste so good! It is also available on pork for the people like me who can’t live without having pork.

Hainanese Pork Chop – RM11.90

Pork Chop Noodle – RM6.50

The pork chop noodle was a big surprise to us. The mee taste rather normal but compensate with a good piece of pork chop marinated with fermented bean curd (Nam Yue in Cantonese) made it balance.

Pork Leg Vinegar – RM8.00

This dish is a must to order for pork leg vinegar lover. It is well cooked and then stored in the fridge and heaten up upon order. This is actually a Hakka dish. Everyone clear the whole pot including the vinegar.

Sambal Fried Rice – RM6.50

The fried rice is simple and nice where it has loads of lap cheong bits. It is fried together with eggs and chili which makes it something different from the normal Yeong Chow Fried Rice. Something new worth to try on. Give it a shot.

Drinks wise, you should try all their juices which they combine ginger, fruits and vegetables. Xin ordered herself a glass of Orange mix with ginger and cucumber which she pretty like it. I ordered my self a cup of Vietnamese coffee which differs from the original Vietnamese style coffee. Here they use evaporated milk rather than the condensed type. I quite like the taste as it is much creamier than condensed milk version.

Orange, Ginger and Cucumber – RM5.50

Food Type: Authentic Hainanese Food and Western Food
Price: Cheap
Environment Cleanliness Vote : 4/5
Food Votes : 4/5
Halal : No

Comment/Remark:
Go early if you don’t want to wait for your food during lunch rush hour.

• October 31, 2009 - 10:50 pm | Permalink

Will mark this place down Ken! 🙂 dying for some pork chop noodle now! 😉
    .-= Christine´s last blog ..Nuffnang Asia Pacific Blog Awards 2009 @ Singapore =-.

• November 1, 2009 - 4:14 pm | Permalink

You should give a shot on their chicken chop too …. definitely you will love it.

• November 1, 2009 - 3:09 am | Permalink

Wow.. I will try this place, looks good at your blog. Thanks.
    .-= hApPy HaPpY´s last blog ..Ah Niu Fish Ball Noodle @ Sri Damansara =-.

• November 1, 2009 - 2:15 pm | Permalink

Hainanese Pork chop!! And so close by in SS2! I drool I drool, and this is me, half an hour after a heavy banana leaf rice lunch!

• November 1, 2009 - 5:48 pm | Permalink

Wah the chicken chop looks appetizing! I wanna go try already :))

• November 1, 2009 - 10:48 pm | Permalink

ken i think we need to go again for the chicken chop!!!!
    .-= xin´s last blog ..Excellent and Affordable Thai Food- Thai Pan Delights @ Kuchai Lama =-.

• daib
    November 1, 2009 - 11:12 pm | Permalink

wow…i tried the claypot lou shi fun….
    is awesome…and is not expensive…
    worth it…is tasty…
    those who like lou shi fun should have a try!!

• November 2, 2009 - 12:24 pm | Permalink

A place I would like to drop by for a quick lunch…many choices.
    .-= ck lam´s last blog ..Invitation to Chocolate Cooking Class and Chocolate Indulgence High-Tea from Cacao Barry, Callebaut at Mandarin Oriental, Kuala Lumpur =-.

• November 2, 2009 - 9:24 pm | Permalink

looks mighty promising, though i still like my Hainanese chicken chop fried, rather than grilled.
    it’s the authenticity of it all, i guess.
    .-= J2Kfm´s last blog ..Bali Day 4 (Part 2) – Venezia Spa & Pizza Bagus =-.

• November 7, 2009 - 1:45 pm | Permalink

They have it too 😀 Is the gravy that makes the difference

• November 3, 2009 - 10:23 am | Permalink

wow, very very oishi hainanese cuisine….esp the oxtail soup, i feel like having it, coz now office air-cond is freezing
    .-= SimpleGirl´s last blog ..Sure Fire recipe for spaghetti =-.

• November 7, 2009 - 1:46 pm | Permalink

Wah …. you sure know how to enjoy a good bowl of soup. 😀

• daib
    November 3, 2009 - 10:46 pm | Permalink

i went there again this afternoon…
    today i offered nasi lemak mutton…
    erm although it seems like everywhere has nasi lemak…
    but i like the mutton…it taste good..
    if you only have a short break for lunch…
    u can try nasi lemak mutton because it wont makes u wait long.

• Chick chick
    November 3, 2009 - 11:32 pm | Permalink

You can’t find such a beautiful place ~ Ting’s Cafe!
    The food there not only delicious, but also cheap and filling. They serve in a large quantity, with alot of dishes (meat and vegetables). Yesterday I tried the claypot lou shi fun. This dishes is so special as it served with thick shark fin gravy! It is so different with the others claypot lou shi fun. It was so tasty and it kept me warm as yesterday rains the whole day! Guys, should give it a try 😀

• Zen
    November 4, 2009 - 11:34 pm | Permalink

Yea, the claypot lou shi fun is my favourite dish too! Their tong shui are nice too~
    As i know, they have special set lunch every alternate tuesday where the dishes are not sold in usual days, such as green curry chicken and others… high rating for it~ 🙂

• November 7, 2009 - 1:47 pm | Permalink

OMG …. must go there again ….. Thanks for the highlight

• Food Lover
    November 5, 2009 - 9:25 am | Permalink

Grilled dori fish is my favourite. It is very good, no fishy smell. Some of my other favourites are fried koay teow, nasi lemak with curry chicken, mutton rendang. The charges are reasonable and the place is nice.

• November 7, 2009 - 1:48 pm | Permalink

I haven’t try their dinner set yet ….. will be there for more food gawking. XD

• November 6, 2009 - 5:07 am | Permalink

The gravy of everything looks so thick and delicious! my type of food!
    .-= pigpigscorner´s last blog ..Waterside Inn***, Bray [Restaurant Review] =-.

• November 7, 2009 - 1:46 pm | Permalink

We shall go there more often whenever we ran out of idea what to eat for lunch. 😀

• November 12, 2009 - 12:54 am | Permalink

Ah will bring my parents here next time they come to KL. The chicken chop nom nom nom~

• November 17, 2009 - 5:58 pm | Permalink

Only 1 chef that hold the secret recipe. I don’t think they will franchise out? But you can call them up to try your luck 😀

• Eric
    December 1, 2009 - 7:21 pm | Permalink

I tried sambal fried rice today, very nice but not enough sambal, next time I come will request for more sambal, hehehe……

• December 1, 2009 - 7:29 pm | Permalink

Yea man …. the last time when I tried also not enough sambal. Not all can take the extreme level like we did 😀

• Eric
    December 28, 2009 - 8:03 pm | Permalink

??????? Tings Cafe ???“???????”????????????? Nasi Lemak Mutton, ????????????????????

• Michelle
    March 4, 2010 - 3:25 pm | Permalink

I went all the way to SS2 looking for it. Where is it located exactly? Couldn’t find… my fiance and I ended had sandwich instead 🙁

• March 4, 2010 - 3:31 pm | Permalink

It is located on the other end of lobsterman restaurant SS2. Same row.

• haha
    August 11, 2010 - 11:10 pm | Permalink

went there just now. the foods were salty and not nice as commented here. A bit upset why you all say the food is nice. haiz

• August 12, 2010 - 1:39 pm | Permalink

Every individual tolerance on salt are different. So I can’t judge how’s yours. To my liking is just nice but not for others. 😀

• Teddy
    October 28, 2013 - 12:43 pm | Permalink

Came across this cafe just the other day, so we went in to try. The cafe has got a nice environment. However, the service was not friendly at all. The supervisor some what felt the food they served was simply the best when we asked for recommendation. Well, could the attitude is due to the discounted voucher? Irregardless we are using voucher or not, we are still the customer. The cooking time was rather slow. We had to wait for about 20 mins. The food was overly priced.The portion was small & we were not full. I am not a Hainanese but i definitely don’t think that’s how hainanese food should taste like. It doesn’t taste nice at all. I guess the food had down graded over the years. Never going back there again.