PENANG

Kimberley Street Ah Seng Char Bee Hoon [Economy Fried Vermicelli]

What food can you buy with RM1.20 nowadays? I mean a dish. Besides nasi lemak that I can think of, let me introduce this famous food from Penang. It is called “CHAR BEE HOON” in Hokkien or fried vermicelli.

ah seng economy bee hoon - 5.jpg

It is a very simple dish where the yellow mee, rice vermicelli and koey teow were fried with cooking oil, sugar, dark soya sauce, soya sauce, bean sprouts and little bit of garlics. Each will be fried individually as it allow customer to choose their own combinations. The most common ones would be mixing yellow mee and rice vermicelli or called “Bee Hoon Mee” in Hokkien.

There are some fried condiments put on top like you can see in the picture is the deep fried bean curd skins and pickled chilis. There are sambal too which put below the bean curd skins. The bean curd skins were very crunchy.

The stall that I patron the most in Penang was Ah Seng Char Bee Hoon located opposite Bee Hooi Coffee Shop in Kimberley Street.

ah seng economy bee hoon - 1.jpg

The stall has a lot drive thru business!

The stall were operated by father and son. I patron them a lot since I am 16 years old till now. Whenever I go the uncle will know how I like my combination. Ah SENG! I respect you! SALUTE! for still remember my combination after 4 years no patron your CHAR BEE HOON. My favorite combination was mix all with extra pickled chilis and bean curd skins.

ah seng economy bee hoon - 2.jpg

By the way if you didn’t ask for extra bean curd skins, you only get like 5 to 6 pieces cause the raw materials ain’t cheap. It took a lot effort to fry it.

ah seng economy bee hoon - 3.jpg
My plate of 3 combo mix! This plate cost me RM2 with everything add in and big size

ah seng economy bee hoon - 4.jpg
Back to basic!

Too bad at the moment I went to Ah Seng’s shop, there are no peanut soup. If not, PERFECT companion for my CHAR BEE HOON.

Place: Ah Seng Char Bee Hoon

Location : Kimberley Street
GPS Coordinate :
Location Maps :

View Food POI in a larger map

Address : Refer to the map.
Contact No :
Halal : NO cause fried with lard oil
WIFI : No
Smoking and non smoking zone : No
Tax : None
Recommended Foods : Bee Hoon Mee

Remark:
You can put in sweet sauce too.

• May 8, 2009 - 9:43 pm | Permalink

the best supper if hunger strike… 🙂

New Kid On The Blogs last blog post..Long Xiang (Seafood) Restaurant ????

• May 10, 2009 - 12:39 pm | Permalink

You are right! When I was young, my dad bought for us a lot.

• May 8, 2009 - 11:33 pm | Permalink

Visited this place too…still have the photos in the folder. The last time I visited, a Bangladeshi was frying the noodles under the supervision of the uncle.

ck lams last blog post..Penang Hawker Food – Penang Curry Mee

• May 10, 2009 - 12:40 pm | Permalink

I see …. mostly I when I went there, the son is the one do the frying now. Bangla packing after Ah Seng put in the noodle.

• May 8, 2009 - 11:45 pm | Permalink

the bean curd skins is my absolute fav! and I cant find it in KL! ;(

thenomadGourmands last blog post..Burger Run at SS15

• May 8, 2009 - 11:46 pm | Permalink

I like this kind of char bee hoon lo.. cheap and simple.. But I don’t really like those fried been curd skin though 😛

• May 9, 2009 - 3:45 am | Permalink

Looks so good the the bean curd skin!

pigpigscorners last blog post..My Wedding Day – Part III

• May 9, 2009 - 1:36 pm | Permalink

like the char bee hoon with pickled green chillies.
    if it was fried by a Bangladeshi as CKLam wrote- a big no no.

foodbins last blog post..TEOWCHEW CHENDUL-PENANG ROAD.

• May 10, 2009 - 12:42 pm | Permalink

I don’t mind as long as the owner is there to supervise when cooking. If the taste is out, no one will patron them again.

• May 9, 2009 - 9:45 pm | Permalink

got peanut soup too? ok should pay them a visit when I am in that area. ^-^

FoOd PaRaDiSes last blog post.."Happy Mother’s Day"

• May 9, 2009 - 11:20 pm | Permalink

RM1.20? So so so cheap! even I wans to buy nasi lemak with RM1.20 also hard to find nowadays

Satisfyingtummys last blog post..Ban Chang Kueh (Chinese Pancake) ???

• May 10, 2009 - 12:43 pm | Permalink

Ya lor …. everything price increase. Morning nasi lemak I buy also RM1.60 already …. just rice, a lil bit of ikan bilis and 1 sunny side up egg.

• May 10, 2009 - 10:54 am | Permalink

Looks so water-mouthering! And the price…. unbelievable cheap.
    I love pickled chili, so perfect for fried bee hoon and noodles 🙂

Selbys last blog post..Keripik Ubi (Sweet Potato Chips)

• May 10, 2009 - 12:44 pm | Permalink

Couldn’t agree more 😀 Economy not good need to look for cheap good food!

• Wassenaar
    May 10, 2009 - 4:05 pm | Permalink

Yes, the bean-curd skin is to die for. Any idea how it looks in raw form before deep frying? I’m sure is not the “lo-bak” skin type. I just bought a packet dry bean curd pack. Not sure if it is the right one. Any idea? BTW I live in NL.

• May 10, 2009 - 4:14 pm | Permalink

Yea … it is not the lo bak skin type … this is the sweet type which people use to stir fry together with vegetarian dishes.

Wow! Visit my blog all the way from Netherlands. Thanks for dropping by 😀

• May 10, 2009 - 11:08 pm | Permalink

I want to eat “teik ah ki”..haha..

MnYfoodtalks last blog post..Ah Pom | Wai Sek Kai ??? | Chai Leng Park, Perai

• May 11, 2009 - 6:52 pm | Permalink

foodbin – No worries, I have tasted the char beehoon recently… still just as good even fried by the Bangladeshi cos the uncle is overseeing the whole frying process…no worries 🙂

ck lams last blog post..Eccucino @ Prince Hotel, Kuala Lumpur

• May 13, 2009 - 4:37 pm | Permalink

walao… the texture of the kuay teow looks nice though!! =D hahah SLURRRRRPPPSSS*~

andrews last blog post..Authentic Sarawakian Food – Rajah Brooke Cafe

• May 13, 2009 - 7:51 pm | Permalink

Quite a long time didn’t have economy bee hoon with crispy fried bean curd skin. It’s simple but yummy!

• May 13, 2009 - 9:32 pm | Permalink

I give u five! This stall fried mee and fried bee hoon are really good.

carisos last blog post..Mr. Pot Coffee & Toast

• June 9, 2009 - 10:05 am | Permalink

There is a Char Bee Hoon stall in Jelutong Night Market too…

• June 9, 2009 - 10:18 am | Permalink

There is a Char Bee Hoon stall in Jelutong Night Market too…

modo alimentares last blog post..Soya bean @ Penang