RECIPE

How To Wrap A Bak Chang or also known as Chinese Pork Dumpling?

Duan Wu days is the day where Chinese people wrap Bak Chang (hokkien) / Ham Yoke Chong (Cantonese) / chong zhi (mandarin) / pork dumpling. Checkout more details about them in wiki.

I get to document this down since my housemate were wrapping the bak chang at home. But ours a bit fusionised. So to get an authentic old school recipe, checkout this site.

My housemate made 3 types of dumplings in one go. 1 hokkien chang which use more on glutinuous rice, 1 cantonese type which uses mixture of glutinuous rice with skinless mung beans and the final one would be the sweet non pork lye water chang or known as KAN SUI CHUNG in cantonese.

bak chang recipe - 26.jpg
Traditional Bamboo leaves soaked

bak chang recipe - 24.jpg
The string to tie the dumpling. I dunno what is this called. You just ask from the seller and they will give you.

bak chang recipe - 25.jpg
We use this for the sake of hygiene. We do not use the rafia strings as we will going to cook it for 3 hours in in hot water. Some poor quality rafia strings color will come out and go into your dumplings. There goes all your effort.

bak chang recipe - 01.jpg
The pre fried meats, Chinese black mushrooms, dried shrimps, chestnuts, 5 spice powders, garlics, salt and dark soya sauce.

bak chang recipe - 02.jpg
Glutinuous Rice Mix with skinless mung beans soaked over night (For Cantonese Style)

bak chang recipe - 03.jpg
Plain Glutinous Rice for the Lye Water Dumpling

bak chang recipe - 04.jpg
Left : Pre fried glutinous Rice with black beans (Hokkien Style) and right is the plain white glutinous rice

bak chang recipe - 22.jpg
We even add in thick dried meats to fusion it a bit

• May 25, 2009 - 7:36 pm | Permalink

happy duan wu festival to you too!!!

New Kid On The Blogs last blog post..113 ??? Lebuh Melayu Koay Teow Th’ng

• May 25, 2009 - 8:43 pm | Permalink

We just wrap some over the weekend too with my MIL. And she is very particular with the shapes. lol

FoOd PaRaDiSes last blog post..Gim Hin Cafe @ Sungai Dua, Penang

• May 25, 2009 - 8:58 pm | Permalink

wah~~ your housemate so good la.. wrap bah chang for you πŸ™‚
    Happy duan wu jie to you! and to the momiji’s’ too πŸ˜€

• May 26, 2009 - 1:26 pm | Permalink

Ya lo…. during weekends we always cook together. Shopping together in the morning too.

• J2Kfm
    May 25, 2009 - 11:05 pm | Permalink

to imagine the hassle of it all …

i’ll be glad to part with my $$$, and buy them from the suppliers. =P

• May 26, 2009 - 1:27 pm | Permalink

Sometimes the fun is at the last piece where you throw everything in and is the largest in terms of size. That piece taste the best. Money can’t buy! πŸ˜›

• May 26, 2009 - 8:31 am | Permalink

I too got the chance to try my hands on wrapping the dumplings with my MIL during the weekends. Looks easy but not so for a first timer.
    Happy Duan Wu festival!

ck lams last blog post..Penang Food – Hock Chuan Heong, Macallum Flat

• May 26, 2009 - 9:43 am | Permalink

Is it already bacang festival?

I’ve never tried bacang with mung beans, looks yummy πŸ™‚ The cantonese version here in Jakarta, doesn’t use mung beans

Your housemate is talented, I’ve tried to wrap bacang.. my… it’s so difficult!!!

Selbas last blog post..Ketimus (steamed grated tapioca on banana leaf)

• May 26, 2009 - 10:24 am | Permalink

My mum, my sis, and sis-in-law, they all know how to make their own dumplings, only me, hai……At least, I know how to enjoy. Haha…

Little Inboxs last blog post..Fried Instant Noodle

• Duckie
    May 26, 2009 - 10:38 am | Permalink

haha .. i only know how to eat and not do it.

• May 26, 2009 - 12:33 pm | Permalink

hi there, nice meeting you last night. wow, the chang looks nice. although i attended a “how to fold chang” class, i just cant do it!!! haha…. lacking in motor skills.

fatboybakess last blog post..Perth….. Pleasantville

• May 26, 2009 - 12:41 pm | Permalink

Ah … this is how you do it. Great photos and write up!!

Julian Sis last blog post..Senjyu Sushi, Cineleisure Damansara

• May 26, 2009 - 12:50 pm | Permalink

yo..right in yr house! lucky devil u!! grrr…
    ehh..Mr Food Directory of Msia – whr to get good chang ah??

thenomadGourmands last blog post..Foodies day out – OuG market & Loke Yuen Chic Rice

• May 26, 2009 - 1:33 pm | Permalink

Restaurant Traditional Recipe, Dataran Sunway Kota Damansara. You can get all sorts of Chang here ….. range from RM7 to RM200++ (need 10 persons)

Order a 8 Pou Tea to go along with the dumplings

• May 27, 2009 - 9:51 am | Permalink

looks tempting….but is never an easy job to wrap it nicely…Happy Bak Chang festival to you too…

SimpleGirls last blog post..Penang Food Post 1

• May 27, 2009 - 4:54 pm | Permalink

Your housemates so good ha! Any more bak chang to share?

Foodntravellas last blog post..FEEL LIKE BAKING……

• May 28, 2009 - 1:22 am | Permalink

oh gooodnesssss its making my mouth water at this time of the morning!! ROAR i is teh hunger!

christocks last blog post..Top 100 Bloggers in Malaysia – I’m a Standout in Life, NOT

• May 28, 2009 - 8:27 pm | Permalink

In Kota Damansara, there is a nice dumpling shop. Available even on non Duan Wu festival.

• May 28, 2009 - 9:22 am | Permalink

How come you did not send some to our residency lol!

Big Boys Ovens last blog post..Bake with Me | Johor Bahru, Singapore, KL & Penang

• May 28, 2009 - 8:26 pm | Permalink

I also had 2 only….. then next day no more. All gone πŸ™

• May 28, 2009 - 3:15 pm | Permalink

jealous nye! i have only eaten one bak zhang so far, and i forsee none coming my way. πŸ™ i feel so pathetic

xins last blog post..Wordless Thursday: Ole-Ole Bali Revisit

• May 28, 2009 - 4:50 pm | Permalink

happy duan wu jie to you!
    wah so good ah…got house mate wrap bak zhang for you….
    haven’t had any zhang yet this year…gonna attack one tonite! lol

lingzies last blog post..Wickedly Good Weekend Chee Cheong Chok @ China Street

• May 28, 2009 - 8:28 pm | Permalink

If you want to taste the best bak chang come KL. I bring you to a bak chang restaurant which literally have all styles of bak changs. πŸ˜€

• May 28, 2009 - 8:18 pm | Permalink

I tried to wrap before but failed. The rice came out after cook the dumpling. haha..

• May 29, 2009 - 3:23 pm | Permalink

but sometimes there is something that money cannot buy…which is the warmth of the bak zhang maker <3

xins last blog post..Wordless Thursday: Ole-Ole Bali Revisit

• June 2, 2009 - 5:30 pm | Permalink

I have not wrapped any bak chang since my granny passed away, guess everyone is busy with work, no one in my family is doing that nowadays! I haven’t tried one yet this year.. hmm will get my favourite bak chang from Joo Chiat soon. πŸ˜€

I’d like to invite you to join a contest “Win the World’s First Transparent Phone” @ Travelerfolio, in conjunction with LG. Pls drop by to find out more πŸ™‚

Travelefolios last blog post..Win the World’s First Transparent Phone @TravelerFolio!