PENANG

Kafe Pantai Timur Cafe at Paya Terubong, Air Itam Penang

Penang …… When you say about this state, automatically hawker foods will run thru your mind. As a Penangite I am always pampered with choices of what to eat. The most famous one would be Gurney Drive and New Lane which most of the time tourist will visit.

In this post I am going to share with you all a place which off these tourist spots. To me the place with too much tourist visiting will deteriorate the food quality as they simply prepare it when having too many orders at one time.

KAFE PANTAI TIMUR is a place where it is located within dense residential area of Paya Terubong. It is opposite a school and in the middle of few flats which surround it. I have patronize this hawker center for more than 6 years and all the original hawkers was still there. They are able to survive in such a competitive market for hawker food for so long and that proof they have the taste.

pantaitimur 06.jpg

pantaitimur 02.jpg

Last month I brought Big Boys Oven and Rebecca there when I was attending their baking class as guest photographer. There are more than 20 stalls over here ranging from Chinese, Malay and Indian Foods. This is what I call a harmony food court that doesn’t count on religion. In Selangor, there are certain area which pork are not allowed to sell. The main attraction here for me everytime is the fried rice and the grill seafood. There are 4 of us and each fork out RM30 and put it on the table. I did the ordering since I am familiar with what is good to order here.

pantaitimur 01.jpg

This stall sell variety of fried rice

This stall’s fried rice is a must to order especially the “KAM HEONG” (Fragrant) fried rice. The fried rice were fried till so perfect that we finish till the very last grain.

pantaitimur 07.jpg

Fragrant (Kam Heong) Fried Rice – Rating 5/5 at RM5.00 with a bowl of White Tom Yam Soup (You can opt not to have the tomyam soup which makes the fried rice cost RM3 only)

pantaitimur 08.jpg
Clear Tom Yam soup with a medium size prawn and a cut of squid Rating 4/5

This fried rice is fried in ala Thai way which using chili flakes and fish oil plus smashed dried shrimps. The rice alone when fried is constantly pressed to break the rice clot. Every scoop of the rice, you can taste every grain of rice is coated with sauce and eggs.

pantaitimur 14.jpg
Belacan Fried Rice – Rating 5/5 at RM3.50 [It is complimentary when doing this session]

Belacan fried rice ….. You don’t see a big piece of belacan there right? It is actually fried together with the rice in powder form.Then the rice were accompanied with condiments like Thai beef in dry curry form, green mangoes, chopped peanuts with dry shrimp, boiled prawns, cucumber and scrambled eggs. All this then is mix together before eat. The taste …. Fantastic!

pantaitimur 20.jpg

This chef is former lead chef of Yellow Light Thai Restaurant. He has numerous experience in Thai food along his career line. Already sell here for 6 years and I am one of his first few pioneer customers.

pantaitimur 32.jpg
Tom Yam Fried Vermicelli (Bee Hoon) – Rating 3/5 at RM3

This tom yam fried bee hoon taste too mild for me. The tom yam paste is home made style which is the same as in the soup. For tom yam bee hoon need stronger taste type of tom yam paste as the bee hoon is tasteless.

• April 9, 2009 - 9:25 pm | Permalink

hey..ur posts got more description of the food now yeah!!
    nice and clean layout, very pleasing to the eyes..NICE!
    sighh..jz lookin at those pics reminds me i nd to head bk to Pg for second round soon!

• April 10, 2009 - 10:21 am | Permalink

My fav place for Penang hawker food …. must hard sell 😛

• April 10, 2009 - 6:38 am | Permalink

it was the hilarious, cant imagine the amount of food we ate! lol!

Big Boys Ovens last blog post..BIG BOYS OVEN Meets SOFIRA @ SULTAN LOUNGE, MANDARIN ORIENTAL HOTEL

• April 10, 2009 - 10:22 am | Permalink

When I look back at all these food the only thing that came across my mind is ……. BURP!

lol

• April 10, 2009 - 8:57 am | Permalink

The foods are very nice and I like the photos. Will try my best to meet you guys next week. ^o^

FoOd PaRaDiSes last blog post..E.T. Steam Boat Restoran @ Rangoon Road, Penang

• April 10, 2009 - 10:23 am | Permalink

You should try it! and camwhore kow kow ….. Dun worry …. we will sit in the kopitiam coz brighter light and more easy to take pix without flash lights. 😀 Hope to see you soon.

• April 10, 2009 - 9:42 am | Permalink

my goodness….really scrumptious meal…the seafood looks good, and i love Penang styled belacan fried rice.

SimpleGirls last blog post..David’s [email protected] Square

• April 10, 2009 - 10:24 am | Permalink

Yes it is! I think this is the only place that serve the belacan fried rice this method

• April 10, 2009 - 4:51 pm | Permalink

this is the place you guys gonna gather and demolish all the stalls on 17th right? 🙂

envious. i wanna join badly, had it not been work onthat wkend.

J2Kfms last blog post..Deja Vu? (Banana Leaf Curry Rice @ NS Curry House & Ritter Sport Chocolates from Langkawi)

• April 10, 2009 - 5:49 pm | Permalink

Definitely is good recommended place by you…plenty of food to try out.

• April 10, 2009 - 9:29 pm | Permalink

this round when u are back.. will u sapu all this [email protected]@@@

heehee

PenangTuaPuis last blog post..Hawker Food | Sin Wah Char Koay Teow

• April 13, 2009 - 9:19 am | Permalink

Of course! This round we got more people …. we go to the next level of ordering ….. 😀

• April 13, 2009 - 9:19 am | Permalink

Flies you keep …. food i eat 😛

• April 13, 2009 - 10:53 am | Permalink

My eyes are feasting in here! Food looks so wonderful in here 🙂

• April 15, 2009 - 6:20 pm | Permalink

Wow~ so many food and so little stomach space.. how ar?

allies last blog post..Penang Seafood | Ji De Lai San Ding Seafood

• ghee
    May 13, 2009 - 10:57 pm | Permalink

haha… it’s one of the nice food i had been tasted in Penang… Ah Mao Fried rice (serve with multiple teste).. i like it very much but so sad i had been long time never to Penang to taste his fried rice… i will be there if i go PEnang

• Jonny Chan
    July 6, 2009 - 12:49 am | Permalink

Next time if you go there i’ll recommended you to order the stir fried ‘Bloody clamp'(cockles) also known as ‘char ham’ from the Grill Fish stall, the taste you cannot find it anywhere in Penang, fried with curry leaf,dried shrimp and a touch of lime, it a killer.The best thing is, it’s only half shell (easier to eat).