SELANGOR

The Wok Cafe – Authentic Penang Nyonya & Local Cuisine

After I visit Big Brother Western Food for the second time, I take a drive to the new shop lots behind to see what new restaurants going to open. To my surprise at the middle of the second row just right behind Big Brother. The Wok Cafe looks like a traditional baba and nyonya house from outside. I went there 2 times to prepare for this review.

the wok kota damansara nyonya food pj - 19.jpg

With so full feeling, I return to The Wok Cafe the next day.

Though the restaurant doesn’t have much customers at first, I just brace myself to go in and try out their foods. You won’t know when you will get a good food like what I had in Big Brother and Bangkok Wasabe. That’s why never judge a book by its cover.

Being a father (Uncle Robert Yeoh) and sonΒ  (Mervyn Yeoh)team from Penang specializing in home cook authentic Penang style Nyonya Cuisine for the past 15 years, they join forces to hands on to cook for every customers that patron here. They list down their specialties like Perut Ikan, Lor Bak (Pork Rolls), Hong Bak (Pork Stew), Curry Kapitan Chicken, Inche Kabin, Gulai Tumis Fish, Tamarind Prawns (Asam Prawns), Pork Cincalok, Kiam Chai Ark (Preserved Salted Vege Duck Soup), Kerabu Mango, Jiu Hu Char and a lot more. Those listed were what a normal nyonya food restaurant would serve and they have it all !

The Restaurant Setup and Ambiance

The restaurant were decorated the old school way with plenty of antiques being displayed. Those with price tags were available for sale. All the tables were those old chinese marble top with a wooden carved leg plus the old wooden chairs.

the wok kota damansara nyonya food pj - 01.jpg

the wok kota damansara nyonya food pj - 02.jpg

the wok kota damansara nyonya food pj - 03.jpg

The small piece of mirror which clinged on the big mirror was a collection items. It has Marilyn Monroe picture embeded inside. According to the father, that piece of small mirror is worth RM6000+. The mirror was from the Elvis Presley time.

the wok kota damansara nyonya food pj - 04.jpg

the wok kota damansara nyonya food pj - 05.jpg

the wok kota damansara nyonya food pj - 06.jpg Antique clock. It doesn’t move anymore.

the wok nyonya and penang food at dataran sunway kota damansara pj - 01.jpg Kitchen entrance

Next ….. Here Comes The Food …..

• March 30, 2009 - 8:32 pm | Permalink

wow looks delicious some more so near my home! a must go! I want otak2!

• March 31, 2009 - 8:17 am | Permalink

wow…. the place look nice and the foods look declicious too!

FoOd PaRaDiSes last blog post..Keat Seng Restaurant @ Air Itam, Penang

• March 31, 2009 - 10:28 am | Permalink

It is open by Penang people sure nice lor …. πŸ˜€

• March 31, 2009 - 8:52 am | Permalink

after reading you review, I am eager to try the lok bak at Wok Cafe!

SimpleGirls last blog post..Home-cooked food @ Earth Hour Day

• March 31, 2009 - 10:25 am | Permalink

the otak2 looks well flavored with santan.

foodbins last blog post..WAN TAN MEE

• March 31, 2009 - 10:29 am | Permalink

Hehehe ….. you can see thru it huh …. guess you love otak otak a lot πŸ˜€

• March 31, 2009 - 10:26 am | Permalink

Gosh…. incredible food!!!

I always love to see the ambience of a nyonya restaurant coz’ so interesting… it brings a curious and nice feeling πŸ™‚

Btw, when you were in Jakarta, did you have a chance to visit the nyonya’s restaurants?

Selbas last blog post..Tukang Kacang Rebus (Peanuts Man)

• March 31, 2009 - 10:30 am | Permalink

Never visit before ….. nowadays no chance to go already since company cut budget …. reduce cost … meeting using skype only =.=”

• March 31, 2009 - 12:26 pm | Permalink

So this is where Mervyn and his dad, Robert are now, manning the KL new outlet while his brother Kelvin and Mum, Sally are manning Hot Wok in Penang. Send my regards to Mervyn if you happened to see him again. πŸ™‚

Anyway, the first impression of the entrance really hinted to me that it could be their KL outlet as Robert is definitely a great Nyonya & Baba antiques collector.

With Mervyn around there, the food would surely be good. πŸ™‚

Criz Lais last blog post..A HILLY ADVENTURE TRIP TO BUKIT GENTING

• March 31, 2009 - 8:16 pm | Permalink

They still maintain the high quality here. Robert just cannot stand food that are served in stingy way. Price affordable and good quality is their motto of serving customers here according Mervyn.

• March 31, 2009 - 7:12 pm | Permalink

good loh bak? i must soooo soo try it! miss lor bak.. the deco is sure old-skool!

thenomadGourmands last blog post..An African Dream

• March 31, 2009 - 8:18 pm | Permalink

You should try their hawker foods. It is Penang taste! Go there speak hokkien with the chef! then you will get extra umph in the cooking. The chef will cook it Penang way for you (more spicy or more spices). XD

• April 3, 2009 - 4:05 pm | Permalink

Thank you for dropping by.I was busy today cos Chui Ling from Astro Wai Lai Toi visited me today.Will be on air on JUNE 28 2009.

• Penang
    April 5, 2009 - 9:02 pm | Permalink
  • April 7, 2009 - 7:02 am | Permalink

Ken, how come I find that the photos of this post not seem to be good?! Not using the pro camera?!

carisos last blog post..Sakae Teppanyaki @ Autocity

• April 7, 2009 - 9:53 am | Permalink

That time the lens rosak. The aperture blade got problem and cannot capture the lightings properly.

• karin
    May 3, 2009 - 9:53 pm | Permalink

Just had dinner at the Wok Cafe with my family. Frankly, was not impressed with the food. Mind you, although I live in KL now, I am from Penang originally and my family’s true blue nyonya, so I know how nyonya food should taste. We ordered the otak otak, which was totally lacking in the distinctive daun kadok and limau purut flavour. The perut ikan was way too sour. Inchi kabin and egg foo yong were average. The sago gula melaka was not good at all. The sago was a clumped up starchy blob, drenched in way too much brown sugar syrup and way too little santan. Very disappointing, I was so looking forward to being able to eat good nyonya food at a restaurnant near my house. Looks like I have to continue to make my own otak-otak, sago gula melaka….

• May 17, 2009 - 2:32 am | Permalink

KARIN then you should do your Otak Otak & Sago and let me try.I know where I stand.Perhaps you should open a stall selling I will support you.

Otak otak: You say lack of the leaves.Some customers complain to much leaves.So what should I do?

Perut Ikan: Suppose to be sour and sweet and spicy.Maybe you have KL taste bud then your not used to it anymore.

Sago Gula Melaka: This dessert is just some of things I add in the menu.Frankly speak I don’t wanna sell it cos it really making any money.Like you say how am I suppose to satisfy every customer.You want little other customer want more.Complain this and that.

Wish you could open a restaurant on your own and I also wish you good luck accepting customer complains.

By the way Thanks for the feedback.Compliments accepted.This how I improved my staff and services.

Yours truthfully,

Mervyn

• Kelvyn (Hot Wok)
    June 11, 2009 - 1:59 pm | Permalink
  • July 7, 2009 - 9:12 am | Permalink

interesting… all these reviews.. I alws do trust yr taste Ken..but seems tht i hv read so many different reviews..Eve’s, Thule’s, Boo’s CK’s, and many more with mixed feedback.. time for me to go try it myself..
    .-= thenomadGourmand´s last blog ..Green Apple Burger, aka Ana’s Burger, Zoo Negara =-.

• funny
    June 30, 2010 - 10:59 pm | Permalink

the sago nangga look delicious

• CeJay
    September 17, 2010 - 11:18 am | Permalink

Had dinner there yesterday. It rather dissapotinted with the CKT. Ordered 4 plates, there were just too wet, too dark and too spicy…it just like normal mamak mee goreng at any ordinary mamak stall…nothing like a penang CKT. Try “Champ’s” a standard to live up with. On the Lobok is also on the normal side, nothing fantastic…I will stick with my friendly “Chap Fun” stall for a good cheap authentic penang lobak @ RM1.20 per piece.

However, I do want to revisit for the dishes….looks good but yet to know the taste…. I will do that before I write them off from my GPS…and my Yummy Map for my friends out there.